Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Arthur Gardiner 1861 - 1945

Cousin Louise Chamberlain says that "In 1899, July 3, Arthur Gardiner married in Salt Lake City his brother Ralph's ex-wife, Elizabeth Masterson."

"Arthur became a boilermaker by trade. He was Captain of the "Night-Hawks" baseball team in Winnipeg, Canada. He was awarded the first prize in an international competition run by the Canadian Government for his invention of a snowplow in 1890, the year of the birth of his son Arthur.

Arthur was born March 29, 1890 in Terrace, Box Elder County, Utah"

Where Louise came up with these dates I have no idea. There is a lot of family lore and this may be more. Without proof I guess it is just that, lore.


Note:
Ralph, Arthur I and John (Arthur's oldest son) were all listed in the Ogden City Directory for 1895-96 as living at the same residence so I think it is safe to say Arthur and Elisabeth had not yet run off together. So in 1895 Ralph and Elisabeth were not divorced and were still living together. Legally, Arthur II was Ralph's child. Whether biologically he was I can't say. N.G.


Picture of Arthur with an invention of his on the table:



Photobucket



Photobucket



Photobucket



Second invention:




Hi everyone,  Attached is a link to Arthur Gardiner II's service record.  If my math is correct he would have been born sometime around October 1889.  Maybe that is why it is so hard to find a marriage date for Arthur I and Elisabeth Masterton.  Betty Harris' sister, Joan, actually believes that Arthur II, her father, is a son of Ralph,  not Arthur.  It  is all very confusing.  I just wish I could find some documentation of Arthur I's marriage.  Here is the link: http://naa12.naa.gov.au/scripts/imagine.asp?B=4036821&I=1&SE=1     N

Photobucket











Research:

Hi everyone,  If any of you can help me with this I would appreciate it.  The only date that I can find of Arthur Gardiner's alleged marriage to Elizabeth Masterton is 3 July 1889 in Salt Lake City.  That date was taken off of their son's birth certificate (Stanley).  Everywhere else there marriage date is mentioned it is just a year, or month in rare cases.  I have attached a copy of the birth certificate.  I believe that the writing is from Betty Harris (a granddaughter of Arthur Gardiner I).  It says, "Salt Lake Records not compulsory at this date.  Only 1/3 Vital Stats were recorded."  However, my copy of the Utah Research Outline states that recording of marriages were mandatory in Utah after 1887 due to the Edmunds Tucker Act.  I have checked the Salt Lake County marriage records and found no mention of Arthur and Elizabeth.  The Utah Research Outline states that there were some marriages by Justices of the Peace before statehood that didn't make it into the county records.  So that may be another avenue to search, but it really makes me wonder if Arthur and Elizabeth were married.  If any of you can help me with this I would appreciate it.  N


Feb 22, 2010 Hi Kent, Yes, I have a copy of Louise Chamberlain’s book. As to the picture, I suppose it could be our Arthur. However, it refers to the Alberta Railway and Coal Company. Louise got her information from Betty Harris and Betty got the date from Stanley Gardiner’s birth certificate. I think I sent everyone a copy awhile ago. However, I don’t believe it to be accurate. As far as I can tell Ralph and Elisabeth were living together until at least 1895. I think Arthur was trying to protect Arthur II, Elisabeth and himself from potentially embarrassing questions. N So Arthur II was Ralph's child. Arthur took his brother's child to Australia and raised him as his own. Am I following this correctly. Is the fact that Ralph and Elisabeth being married until 1895 based on the census? Kent Feb 23, 2010 Ralph, Arthur I and John (Arthur's oldest son) were all listed in the Ogden City Directory for 1895-96 as living at the same residence so I think it is safe to say Arthur and Elisabeth had not yet run off together. So in 1895 Ralph and Elisabeth were not divorced and were still living together. Legally, Arthur II was Ralph's child. Whether biologically he was I can't say. N


Hi everyone,  Attached is a description of another invention by Arthur Gardiner, brother of Robert, Alfred, Ralph and Frederick Gardiner.   N