Monday, September 28, 2009

Eva Winnifred Gardiner (Cushing) 1883 - 1969



Hi everyone,  G sent me the attached photo from the Deseret News dated March 12, 1993.  It was in the Sunday Spectra section.  Mary Gardiner has the original newspaper.  One of Robert Gardiner's daughters, Eva Gardiner, is on the front row, second from the right.  Nathan

"Graduating class from the Relief Society Nursing School (circa 1902). Many Relief Society groups sponsored women to receive basic medical training so they could return to serve their communities."

Then below, from my dad, Kenneth Henry Cushing:

"This shows part of a group of young women who had completed a Relief Society nursing school in 1902.
They received basic medical training to better serve their communities.

"My mother is pictured in the front row next to the end on the right - She is Eva W. Gardiner.
She was born 5 May 1883 and married Harry W. Cushing 8 Sep 1909. I was born 29 Dec 1913.
-Kenneth Cushing



 1914












Harry Cushing Model T:


Hi everyone,  Attached is a picture of Harry Washington Cushing's Model T.  Margaret Amelia Gardiner Gedge added the color.  According to Gary Layton, hand coloring black and white photographs was quite the rage, and Margaret Amelia was quite good at it.  Nathan







Eva Winifred Gardiner Cushing from K on Vimeo.

December 29, 1921 Salt Lake Telegram:




Obituary: Kenneth H. Cushing, Eva's son
Published: Monday, Oct. 18, 1999 12:00 a.m. MDT

Kenneth Henry Cushing, 85, loving husband, father and grandfather returned home to his Heavenly Father on October 17, 1999.

He was born December 29, 1913, the second child of Harry Washington and Eva W. Gardiner Cushing. Ken graduated from East High School. He worked for Kennecott Copper for over 40 years. Ken married Ardis Rae Updegraff, his eternal companion, on August 21, 1952, in the Salt Lake Temple. Ken was an active member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, contributing a life time of service. He loved and enjoyed being surrounded by his family. He enjoyed the outdoors, fishing, hunting and camping. He taught others to recognize and appreciate nature. He had a sweet sense of humor and a positive outlook on life. His quiet strength influenced many.Ken is survived by his wife of 47 years, Ardis, Salt Lake City, Utah; his children, Penny (Brad) Vance, Glide, Oregon; Colleen (Mark) Magleby, Portland, Oregon; Wayne (SuZie) Cushing, Salt Lake City, Utah; Ron (Jeanne) Cushing, Vernal, Utah; and Sharon (Scott) Moake, Beaver Dam, Utah; one sister, Carol Davis, Salt Lake City, Utah; 18 grandchildren. He was preceded in death by a brother, Robert G. Cushing.

Funeral Services will be held Wednesday, October 20, 1999, at 12 noon at the Mountain View Third Ward, 1889 South 1700 East, Salt Lake City. Friends may meet with the family at Larkin Sunset Lawn Mortuary, 2350 East 1300 South, Tuesday, October 19, 1999, from 6 until 8 p.m. and one hour prior to the Funeral Service at the Church. Interment, Mountain View Memorial Estates, 3115 East 7800 South, Salt Lake City, Utah.


Research:

Hi everyone,

A few years ago I wrote a letter to Carol Cushing Davis, a daugter of Harry and Eva Cushing.  Carol called me on the phone and we had a very nice talk.  I remember telling my wife afterwards that she was one of the nicest people I had talked to on the phone.  It was during this telephone conversation that Carol offered to send me a copy of Harry Cushing's journal.  Up until that point I didn't even know that Harry Cushing had a journal.  I told her that would be great.  However, Carol's son, Bob, who was also on the telephone with us didn't seem very enthusiastic about the idea.  Later I learned that Bob Davis has half of Harry's journal and another part of the family, probably Kenneth Cushing, has the other half of the journal.  I also learned that it has been transcribed using a word processor.  I know that because Bob has sent me two or three pages from it.  That is how I knew for my draft timeline for Robert Gardiner's life that Harry had addressed invitations at Robert Gardiner's home, etc.  My interest in the journal is that it undoubtedly mentions Robert Gardiner and Margaret Stewart Gardiner as well as Eva's siblings, and thus casts further light on their lives.  For example, on one of the pages Bob sent me it talked about Harry going duck hunting with William R. Gedge.

I am telling you all of this with the hope that you might know some other descendants of Carol Davis who would be willing to share what information they might have.  Or perhaps, you might be more persuasive in getting Bob to share what he has.  Also, If you do know of any other descendants of Harry and Eva Cushing, please let me know so that I can add them to this email list.  (Bob Davis is normally on this email list, but I haven't included him this time so he doesn't feel like he is being ganged up on.)

N

 I'm glad Uncle Harry Cushing kept a journal.  It certainly answers some questions that we have wondered about.  Now that I'm reminded about how Carol got to Malta, I think that I can safely say that the Nelsons had nothing to do with taking the picture of the old car.  I think that they did not even come into the house.  I think they just dropped Carol off and were on their way.  But, I just had another idea  that might shed some light on the subject of the old car. According to information that you posted about visits of relatives from Salt Lake.  You say "15 Sept.1935 Eva and her family visit Malta".  My memory of the visit is very vague.  However, I do remember that every time I saw Uncle Harry, he was using crutches because of a very bad arthritis condition.  I think that may have given him a good reason to park the car right next to  the porch.  So my best guess at this time is that the picture of the house and old car were taken at the time of this visit. I can't prove it, of course.  M