Sunday, May 31, 2020

Glen Kroksh 1912 - 1971 Full History

Glen and his sister Beth
Written by himself, with an ending by his mother Vera Kroksh.

I was born 28 September 1912 at my Grandfather and Grandmother’s home at Elwood, now Tremonton, Box Elder County, Utah. My Brother George Augusta, we now call Jay, was born in the same room even the same corner of the room in the same bed. Yes they say he was born in East Tremonton, due to the change of the name of the district.

My father Charles Arthur Kroksh was born 17 of April 1892 at Deweyville, Utah Box Elder County. He was the first child of Charles Agustus Kroksh. And Martha Vilate Holdaway.

My Father is Charles Arthur Kroksh; my mother is Vera Brough Kroksh a daughter of the union of George William Brough and Jane Elizabeth Crawforth. My Father was born in Deweyville Utah. My mother was born in Spring City Utah, Sanpete County, Utah.





I was blessed by my Grandfather George William Brough 2 August 1914. Baptized by Eli M Farfon on 2 Dec 1922. Confirmed by Thomas Edgly July 2, 1922. I was blessed at Tremonton Utah, and was baptized and confirmed at Bancroft , Idaho. Had my Patriarchal Blessing.

I began school at 7 years of age at Bancroft Idaho, where I attended kindergarten.

Then my folks went to Elwood for the winter and stayed with my Grandparents most of the winter. I attended the 2nd grade at the Red Brick schoolhouse in Elwood.

The third grade back in Bancroft, Idaho, That year we all had small pox, and was looked in for two months, with snow a foot and a half deep, the neighbors would come to the gate and talk to us an go to the store for us, my Dad had them very bad. We had to keep the fire going, we had a stove that we burned coal in. We carried the wood and coal from the coal house from the back of the yard.

My Dad worked for Ersal Cornelison Fixing Car’s and Machinery for the farmers.

One day coming home from school I fell in a deep hole full of cold water and before I got home my clothes were frozen stiff on me.

We had a dog named "Ring" that went every place with us. He would lay on the front door step, and sleep if Father and Mother went away in the evening and left us home, and when they came home he would go in the coal house to sleep.

Mother and Beth and I went to Tremonton on the Ogden Short Line Railroad. Grandpa Brough met us at Deweyville, in his Ford Car. When we got down by the Bear River, Mother asked Grandpa if he had our suitcases, he said no, so we tried to turn around on the road on grade, and ran us off into the Bear River. The car and all of us went right in the river. Some men were coming down the hill on the other side with a load of hay. They unhitched their horses and pulled us back out of the water back onto the road. That night my brother George A was born (We call him Jay).

While in Bancroft we had a Magpie that could talk. It went every place with us. One day a herd of sheep came by and it flew out of the yard as they were passing and was killed; we buried it in the back yard the neighborhood children came to help us. They were Martha Jepson, the three Rigby girls, Syella Harkins and two Cornelison boys. We all sang songs and cried. We put flowers on the grave every day for a long time.

Dad would take us hunting and fishing with him. There were lots of wild ducks, wild Geese also sage hens. Father had a pearl-handled 22 revolver, (he was good at shooting. We did not have to go very far from home to do our hunting.

Bancroft, Idaho is a little town about four blocks square. They had one schoolhouse in this building they teach from first to the twelfth grades.

One day we were playing house with our friends, and Beth was holding up the tent. I thought her head was stuck. She was holding up, so I took the hammer and hit her on the head. It sure did bleed, we were so afraid she was going to die.

It was bout this time that I got a little red wagon. Beth and I would put our little brother George A, and take him every place we went,

One of our favorite sports was stick horses we made our horses fro any kind of a stick.

Then we moved to Long Beach California where I attended Roosevelt Grammar School. Fourth grade and fifth grade. I roller-skated back and forth to school. It was four miles each way. I came home at noon then back to school again making 18 miles. I roller-skated every day. I went to school.

We lived in Uncle Guy Roses house, he had one room ad he lived in and sat with us.

Mr. and Mrs. Sonday had a store across the street where we brought our groceries. Their girl named was Lorna. She and Beth were very good friends (and still are.)

The Smith next door had three boys I liked every well. One day we were climbing up some trees and the oldest boy Robert fell from the top of one and broke both of his arms. The little’s boys would take George A's bicycle away from him, and then he would bite him read hard. We had an old hen that laid eggs on the back porch in a dark corner. She sat there and hatched some little chickens.

About this time of my life we moved to Sherman, now West Hollywood, where I attended the last of the fifth grade, and the sixth, seventh and eighth grades at Sherman Grammar School.

When in the 9, 10, 11, 12 grades I attended Fairfax High School

I graduated the summer of 1932. I was 19 years old. My sister Beth had begun school at the same time and went through school together.

At our home in West Hollywood, here I build a big cage in the back of the lot and got me some homing pigeons. I let them out and they would fly all over, and come back home. We would take them for long rides and turn them loose, and they would fly back home. Once we took them as far as Laguna Beach.

Next we moved across Sunset Boulevard on a hill, in back of the garage that my Dad ran for Mr. Wood. It was called Wood Service Station. This Mr. Woods had too wooden legs. Here we had a dog named Babe we loved very much. He would follow us to school and wait for us to come home then come home with us. We had some very good friends here. There were Danney and Freddy Perciado that lived across the road. We had had a clubhouse under the house where we spent a lot of our time.

About this time I did little jobs to get money. I save my money and got me a bicycle, so I could have a paper route.

My grandparents lived in Tremonton Utah. On my Grandma Brough’s birthday they would have reunions. This spring we went, mother, Beth, Jay and I. We took our old car the Buick and drove up to Grandma’s birthday party. On this trip I learned to drive the car.

The next year I went up to Tremonton and Elwood and spent the summer with my grandparents and cousins.

Once when Mother and I were coming back from Utah, mother was driving we ran off the road and tipped the car over and mother and I were both hurt. We had to leave the car there. I had my front teeth broken off. Later I had to have them pulled.


Jay Kroksh

The Wilshire Ward, 1209 South Manhattan Place, Los Angeles

I attended Teacher Training class at Wilshire Ward, then Hollywood Stake. I was put in as a substitute teacher of the Book of Mormon.

Then I started going to Hollywood Ward, then Hollywood Stake. I was put in as Secretary to Elder Guorn, which I resigned to again teach the Book of Mormon class with Mrs. Peggy Pichens. I resigned that when I was elected Stake M-Mens Treasurer.

The next year I was appointed Stake Era Director and was set apart as a Home Teacher in the ward, (Genealogy between mutual Seasons,) I went to the Temple at Logan Utah for my own endowments. When I came back to California I was not offered a job in any organization until we moved to Mar Vista Ward, which was just put into Inglewood Stake. I still worked as a home Teacher, with Audrey Scholl as a Partner. I attended Hollywood Ward until mutual season was over. I was never a deacon but was ordained into the Aaronic Priesthood as a teacher at Wilshire Ward, Hollywood Stake by Brother Wilson. Then the teacher of our class

One Spring I took the car to Utah. I got as afar at St. George and the car broke down. Forrest Hard, Beth’s husband came with a truck and fetched me and the car back to Los Angeles. It was later that year that I went up and stayed the summer with my Grandma Brough and Aunt Eva Hanson. They lived on a farm. I rode horses and worked in the fields.

On Dec 18, 1941 I was married to Audrey Scholl, in the Arizona Temple. My mother and Audrey’s mother went with us to be married. I drove my car.

As Audrey and I had no children we got us a little boy that was 18 months old in 1954. He was a lovely little fellow, so fat and strong, so full of live. We had him sealed to us in the temple. We named him Gerald Arthur Kroksh.



He is now a young man, and we have enjoyed him very much.  When I was first married I drove the school bus for two years, and fix watches in the evening.

Then I got a job running a picture show.

The following was written by his mother Vera Kroksh:

He kept this job until he passed away. He was getting ready to work when his heart stopped. He had been called back home June 1971.

Glen was never well from the time he was born. He had every so many operations some we thought he would never pull through. He always made the best of things, doing for the other fellow. He loved to make ice cream and have his friend come and have a big dish with him. Always working for the church doing whatever there was to do running their shows, taking the boys to camp going to the welfare farm, helping with the bazaars, always their to his part.

Gerald (or Gerry as we call him) left for Mission Oct 30, 1971 to Marshall town Iowa around four months after his father passed away leaving his mother alone. A month later Audrey was operated on for cancer. She got along fine, she is a brave person and loved by everyone.