Part of the UCLA Graduate School of Education & Information Studies, we are an innovative school for children ages 4-12.
We encourage children's natural love of learning while also helping them
develop a disciplined approach to their work. At the same time, our
classrooms and meeting spaces serve as a laboratory for exploring
innovative ideas about teaching, learning, and child development. We
share the results of our studies through collaborations with educators
from other schools, through conferences, workshops and site visits, and
in print publications and other media. Through this mix of strategies,
UCLA Lab School teaching practices and research outcomes have been
widely shared with schools across the globe.
UCLA Lab School is the laboratory school of the UCLA Graduate School of Education and Information Studies
(GSE&IS). It has been on the UCLA campus since 1947 and currently
serves 450 students ranging in ages 4–12 and their families. Originally known as University Elementary School, and from 1982 as Corinne A. Seeds University Elementary School, the name was changed in 2009 to better convey the school's purpose as a laboratory for research and innovation in education.
CONNECT, an onsite research center, helps link educators and
researchers to explore ideas about teaching, learning, and child
UCLA Lab School was founded in 1882, as the demonstration school of
the California State Normal School at Los Angeles. Located on the site
of today’s Central Library in downtown Los Angeles, the normal school
prepared teachers for educating the growing city.
By 1914, enrollment at the normal school had far exceeded capacity,
and the institution, along with the children's school, moved to a
Hollywood ranch off a dirt road that later became Vermont Avenue. In
1919, the regents approved the establishment of the “Southern Branch of
the University of California,” a two-year college located at the normal
school. The two-year college expanded and officially became UCLA in
1927. Two years later UCLA moved to Westwood and the children's school began leasing property owned by Los Angeles City Schools, on Warner Avenue.
In 1929, the children’s school was called University Elementary
School (UES) and the principal was Corinne A. Seeds. A visionary
educator who was influenced by the teachings of John Dewey, Seeds became
a key figure in developing and promoting progressive education during
the 1930s, '40s and '50s. She believed that "to keep education dynamic, children must have experiences that they care about."
In 1945, the university lost its lease on the Warner Avenue location
and was told to vacate the site by the following year. From September
1946 to June 1947, UES was without a schoolhouse, but some classes
continued in private homes.
Supporters of Seeds and progressive education successfully lobbied
the state legislature to provide funds to relocate the school to the
UCLA campus. Wartime restrictions prevented new building, but supporters
found unused army barracks and transferred them to the Westwood campus
to be used as a temporary school facility.
The first permanent school buildings for the elementary school were
completed in 1950. They were designed by architects Robert Alexander and
Richard Neutra, who became prominent in the mid-century modern design
The architects worked closely with Seeds and other members of the
school community to create a campus that takes advantage of the natural
landscape and promotes children’s movement and exploration through the
integration of indoor and outdoor space and flexible configurations of
the learning environment.
Administration and Staff
All phone numbers are in area code 310.
For general information, call 825-1801.
UCLA Lab School was previously known as Corinne A. Seeds
University Elementary School (UES). The name was changed in 2009 to
better convey our purpose as a laboratory for research and innovation in