Mary was the second of 8 children. In 1851 Mary 17, is a linen weaver living with her parents at Cadger Wynd in Brechin. There are 7 siblings in the home.
She married James Scott 17 January, 1861. James was a river pilot. In 1861 James and Mary are living at 33 Union Street, Brechin. The 1861census says James was born in Marykirk, Kincardinshire, Scotland. His birth place is identified in three different places: Marykirk, Brechin and Montrose. There is a Montrose street in Brechin and Marykirk is 9 miles from Brechin. They are both 27. In 1871 Mary is living with her parents along with her three of her own children. Between 1861 and 1871 Mary gives birth to her three children. In the 1871 census her husband is probably on a ship.
In 1881 James is a shipmaster and they live at 3 Springhill Place, Dundee. They are living with their three children and Margaret Petrie who is identified as a visitor. Their son James 19 is a joiner, daughter Mary 15 is a milliner and John 12 is going to school as a scholar.
In 1901 Mary is living in Bridgefoot, Dundee with her daughter Mary and Mary's 5 children who includes Henrietta who is 5 days old. Mary's husband is at sea. She is 65.
James died in 1897 of dysentery and exhaustion 6 days. They were living at 60 Watson Street, Dundee. His parents are listed as James Stephen and Susan Ross. His son John S. Stephan acted as informant. John is living at Hill Street, Inverkeithing.
Mary's daughter also named Mary (wife to Arthur Hardie Scott) came back from Oakland CA after the death of her own husband to take care of her mother. Mary died 13 years later at the age of 90 with her daughter at her side on December 7, 1923 at 3 hours 30 minutes am on Americanmuir Road, Dundee, Scotland. Burial unknown.
Children: James 1863, Mary 1866, John 1869,
Strathmartine is an area of Angus, Scotland (named after a local mythical hero, Strathmartin The Dragonslayer). It is to the north of Dundee and the surrounding district is often referred to as "the Howe o Strathmartine".
The parishes of Mains and Strathmartine were united on 21 Nov 1792. Anciently, Mains was called Earl's Strathdichty, Strathmartine was called Strathdichty Martin. The Dichty Water flows through the parishes.
|May should be Mary, original document needs to be checked.|
|There is a Montrose street in Brechin|