Friday, August 12, 2016

Mike Doyle 1944

Mike, 1960 Hoover High School
My Irish Catholic bartender father & Baptist Mom divorced while I was in 3rd grade @ Bell-Jeff Catholic school in Burbank.  Since my Mom worked nights @ Damon's Steak House in Glendale, she needed a live-in housekeeper to ride herd over me.  Along came Maggie Hill!  She was from Franklin, Idaho, and took on the challenge!  To say the least, I was a "wild child"!

I quit going to Bell-Jeff and started attending Jefferson Elementary in Glendale.  Due to Miss Hill's influence with my Mom I started going to Primary on Wednesday after school.  As it turned out many of my new friends at Jefferson, were those I met @ Primary.  I soon became a Trekker then a Guide.  I'd go to Mass on Sunday Morning and then Sacrament Service @ 6 pm with Miss Hill just so I could hear the West Ward's choir under the direction of Wendell Noble.  It was AWESOME and I loved it!

As I was about to turn 12, Wayne Hancock had a heart to heart with my Mom.  He said, "This boy really needs the Church!" and my Mom knew it.  She gave in . The Ward Missionaries came over and taught me the discussions and I joined the Church.  Remembering back, I believe I was baptized in the Marshall's pool.

Not sounding political, but in my case, the Glendale West Ward family became my "Village" and raised me.  I had so many great examples and I'm sure caused much hair pulling and challenged many a testimony!  But, because of love and the Gospel and the many many many good folks and their teachings and patience,  a "wild child" went on to serve a mission(to the Great Northwestern States), went to BYU (and even graduated!) and got married in the LA Temple to my most beautimous wife, Nadine

Do these goals sound familiar?  Those were the messages I remember Bishop Reed Callister encouraged us to do.  BYU, Mission & a Temple Marriage.

And so, now I'm old and reflecting back, think of how lucky (or was it divine providence?)  I have  been married for 49 years (poor Nadine!),  3 children, all sealed in the Temple, my 2 sons served missions and my darling daughter taught her future husband the lessons and he served a mission.  11 grandchildren, all born in the covenant!  Thank You Glendale West Ward.  Mike Doyle


















Blessed by Jes Challis. Death date from headstone in Franklin, Idaho. Obituary of Parley A. Hill lists her as being in Hawaii in 1956.   Blessed by Jes Challis. Death date from headstone in Franklin, Idaho. Obituary of Parley A. Hill lists her as being in Hawaii in 1956

Maggie Jenette Hill is buried in the Franklin Cemetery, Franklin, Idaho.