Wednesday, September 28, 2016

Sara Schimmer 1952 - 2016

Kim McFarlane, Facebook:  "To all of Sara's friends. Sad to pass on the news that Sara passed away of a massive stroke on Sept. 21, 2016 just after midnight Thur. night.  She was in the hospital and passed very quietly and peacefully with her friend Michael there at her side, and her friend Kim McFarlane.

This is Kim McFarlane, I was just able to get onto Sara's facebook page, and as you can see I posted a beautiful picture I found of Sara.  Her family has moved her body to Idaho where she will be buried with her parents.

We will have a memorial service for Sara here in the D.C. area in Falls Church within a few weeks. The tentative date is Oct. 20th. We will post updates here. Please send any photos you may have of Sara to "kimbusiness3@aol.com" (you can email them or text them) You can just snap a photo of any photos you may have of Sara, and any photos of you with her, or with any other friends or family, or when she was on mission trips that would be wonderful too. I am going to create a mini video of any photos and some music she liked etc. if I can get some photos. Please check in here again this weekend, as I will send messages to everyone here.

We will miss Sara, Sara had great unwaivering faith, and is in heaven now, feeling deeply loved at peace. It will be a wonderful reunion when we all get to see her when we arrive there too.  Please send photos if you have. If I get enough photos etc. I will post them here for all to see! ... thanks again. With love for our sweet Sara. From Kim McFarlane: kimbusiness3@aol.com"

I think any pictures of her growing up years in Glendale Stake would be a great addition to the memorial video her friend, Kim McFarlane, will be preparing for her memorial in D.C. next month. I will miss my friend, Sara, whom I would rush to Primary after school with so that she could play the piano and I could lead the singing. I wish I had some pics of THAT. We just saw her at the Glendale Stake reunion last month and it's difficult to realize that we will not see her again in this life.
Till we meet again, Sara.

Obituary:

Sara Mae Schimmer passed away Sept. 23, 2016 at the Virginia Hospital, Born on 19 June 1952 in Honolulu, Hawaii.  Moved to the mainland in 1954 to Glendale, California with her parents, Ofa Winward Schimmer and Anthony Joseph Schimmer and her three older siblings:  Stephen, David and Kathleene.  She attended Mark Keppel Elementary School, Eleanor J. Toll Jr. High School and graduated from Herbert Hoover High School in 1970.  All three schools are located in Glendale. She earned a Bachelor's and Master's Degree in Counseling from Brigham Young University in Provo, Utah and served a mission in Austria for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in the late 1970's.

Sara moved back East to work for Senator Orrin Hatch in his D.C. office and then worked for United Airlines from which she took an early retirement.  Sara was an avid traveler and spent her time helping in service organizations for children.

She also enjoyed teaching people of the Muslim religion about Jesus Christ. She suffered from ovarian cancer 6 years ago which went into remission.  Unfortunately, the cancer returned this year. However, last week Sara suffered a major stroke and passed away peacefully with her friends by her side in the early morning of Sept. 23 from complications of the stroke. She was preceded in death by her parents Ofa Winward and Anthony (Tony) Schimmer and a brother, Stephen Winward Schimmer.  She is survived by a brother, David (Gudrun) Schimmer of Moorpark, California and a sister Kathleene (Mark) Schimmer Haslam currently serving an LDS Mission in Brazil.  Her grandparents were Bryan Hunsaker Winward and Elsie Mae Farmer, formerly of Clifton, Idaho.

Funeral services will be held on Saturday, Oct. 1, 2016 at Noon at Webb Funeral Home, 1005 South 800 East, Preston, Idaho.  Friends may call Saturday from 11:15-11:45 a.m. at the mortuary.  Interment will be in the Whitney, Idaho Cemetery.

From a childhood friend:
Sara did serve a mission for the LDS Church in the 70's. I can't remember where she went but I attended her farewell during the time I was at BYU and she and her mom still lived in Orem. All her little nieces and nephews sang, and she had the guy who did the voice of God in The Ten Commandments sing, as well. I think she said he was in her Ward at the time. It really was a very spiritual meeting.

I remember in High School she was always a little rebellious (kind of passive-aggressive). I'm not sure what happened. I do remember that she never seemed to be very happy. She was always jealous of one person or another.

When we reconnected during preparations for our 40th High School reunion in 2010, she was emailing that she had finally found the truth and it didn't require guilt, or some such thing, and she was very happy.

I worked with Kathy in the Stake Primary when I was a newly wed. I remember receiving a wedding announcement from Sara. I asked Kathy about it and she said that it was a marriage of convenience. The groom was from a foreign country and she married him so he could more easily become a citizen. Then they agreed to divorce after that happened. Kathy said that she thought Sara would have liked to remain married to him, but he wasn't interested. Pretty sad.

Facebook:
Sara Schimmer Raquel....Turkey was amazing....the church history, the team, the members and the Muslims....I got addicted to that country....Are you doing another Perspectives? I haven't seen you at church the few times I've been there....they were so generous to let me go on the trip even though I hadn't raised the money....now I still have half the money to pay.....Do you know any nanny jobs I can substitute at? They have been so generous but I am feeling so guilty....The past 4 weeks I drove from where I am staying to take these 2 Muslims kids who live an hour away to Cherrydale's Camp and then drove them home. It cost a huge money for me. Are you still wroking with the family? Sara
August 10, 2012 at 9:49am

Sara Schimmer Raquel...I would love to take a 2 or 3 days a week position....When are you at the church? Maybe I can run into you for a minute. Are you still working and going to school?
August 17, 2012 at 9:58am

Sara Schimmer Gerda..My cancer is in remission. My brain is just a little slow and I can't remember simple words. I am still traveling to France and Bangkok. You know we have 4 free wickets until June. I am dirt poor and staying with friends. In June I'm going to Turkey with the missions team from Cherrydale Baptist church to work with the refugees from Iran. I am glad ti got my health back so I have no complaints. How are you? 
May 19, 2012 at 12:59pm

Sara Schimmer Raquel....Thanks for the memory. I was actually baptized--it was about time since my first baptism was at 8 years of age in the Mormon church. I miss your group--all of your addition to the group. ( The food on the last day was incredible.) I hope it wasn't the last time. BTW, I have a friend (from Cuba originally) who is planning to move from VA to Costa Rico and start a 90,000 people concert at the stadium there. Then he's going to walk from Costa Rica to Buenos Aires. It's all in the name of Christ. Then he wants to go to many other countries--the afternoon concert will be for the teens and the evening for the adults. It should be amazing.
June 22, 2011 at 2:52pm

Sara Schimmer Peter...You'd better not come to the USA and not visit DC. I'll arrange for the air tickets. You didn't tell me what the qualifications were for the volunteers???? Now that I'm resting more I'm also listening more. When I heard about the need I felt something in my heart. Give me either your encouragement or discouragement. I'm feeling better every day. Hopefully the doc will give permission to travel soon. I have a friend who will do your 501c3 but she isn't a lawyer. I'm not sure how much money she would want--less than $400. I'll keep looking for someone who will do it for free. Write soon.

Sara Schimmer Oh Kelley...I was without a car for a few days but now I'm back in motion. I'm sure you've heard it's been bitter cold here--not the time to be without wheels. It would be my heart's desire to visit a class of Howard Hendricks. Would that ever be possible? You are living my dream. It's not something that's even in the realm of possibility so I don't have to think "what if." Are you wowing all your profs? Say hi to your hubby. Ciao
Sara Schimmer Peter, I've been sort of laid up. I went to Paris to visit my ex husband's nieces and nephews and I came home with blood clots in my lungs. My legs haven't stopped hurting for a month. Maybe it's this plus a bunch of other things, but I really feel like I'm supposed to go overseas sooner rather than later. I get my government pension in five years but why wait till then. The U.S. government may be hanging by a thread by then.
I'm sure you have an opinion about the terrorists being tried as regular citizens? How about Tiger Woods becoming a Mormon? I hope someone talks some sense into him before he does that.
How are you doing?


Sara Schimmer Peter...You'd better not come to the USA and not visit DC. I'll arrange for the air tickets. You didn't tell me what the qualifications were for the volunteers???? Now that I'm resting more I'm also listening more. When I heard about the need I felt something in my heart. Give me either your encouragement or discouragement. I'm feeling better every day. Hopefully the doc will give permission to travel soon. I have a friend who will do your 501c3 but she isn't a lawyer. I'm not sure how much money she would want--less than $400. I'll keep looking for someone who will do it for free. Write soon.
Sara Schimmer Peter, I've been sort of laid up. I went to Paris to visit my ex husband's nieces and nephews and I came home with blood clots in my lungs. My legs haven't stopped hurting for a month. Maybe it's this plus a bunch of other things, but I really feel like I'm supposed to go overseas sooner rather than later. I get my government pension in five years but why wait till then. The U.S. government may be hanging by a thread by then.
I'm sure you have an opinion about the terrorists being tried as regular citizens? How about Tiger Woods becoming a Mormon? I hope someone talks some sense into him before he does that.
How are you doing?

Sara Schimmer Diane, What are you doing? I am going through chemo and wondering about the next or how long the next step will last. Pray for me. Sara

Dec 12, 2012