Monday, December 5, 2016

Where did the Winert's and Scholl's go to church?

The Weinert family were religious.

It appears that all of the following churches were Evangelical.

1.  Zion Evangelical Church was founded in 1862 in Arago. Five years after the founding, the church was moved to a location 6 miles northeast of Falls City named Zion Evangelical.  At one time 125 people or so were attending.



The Zion Cemetery aka Zion Bethel Cemetery is or rather was across the street from Zion Evangelical Church.  The building is no longer in existence.

The church is gone today but the cemetery is kept in fine order.

Weinert's in the Zion Bethel Cemetery:
Charles Weinert and Mary Voegelein
Harold and Verna Weinert, Paul Weinert's parents
August and Fredericka aka Barbara Weinert
Pvt Franklin Weinert
Henry Christopher, John Weinert's son
Martha Marie Bletscher Weinert, John's daughter


 

Let’s see who we recognize in the photo above:
1.  Edna Weinert is John Weinert's daughter
2.  Henry Weinert another son and Martha, his wife
3.  Lena Bletscher and Henry Bletscher, Martha's sister and brother
4.  Luella John Weinert's daughter
5.  Lawrence John Weinert's son
6.  Theophilus aka Tophy another John Weinert's son
7.  Harold Weinert, Paul Weinert’s father, he is also Charles Weinert's son
8.  Alma, Carl, and Albert Weinert, Harold Weinert's sister and brothers, or Charles Weinert's children
9.  Herman Oberst who was brother to Carl Oberst, who was best friends with George Scholl their whole lives
10.  Irving Wiltse is Clarence and Louise Weinert’s son
11.  Gertrude Wiltse Clarence and Louise Wiltse's daughter



 







The Bethel church, Falls City now has all church records from the Zion Evengelical church in a 7 foot steelcase file.  Here is the church roll, 1880 - 1881.  Notice what they call Fredericka: 




2.  Zion United Church is where Scholl's are buried.
To see Scholl's: Zion United Church of Christ  

65765 709th Road, Falls City, 68355-2657
Records:  1886-1976
Falls City, Richardson County, Neb.:  United Church of Christ
Size:  1 reel of microfilm,  RG3245.AM:  Zion United Church of Christ (Falls City, Neb.)
 
HISTORICAL NOTE
The Zion Evangelical Church, near Falls City, Nebraska, was formed in 1886 by a group of German immigrants who had settled in Richardson County after the Civil War.   For many years German was the language of worship but it was gradually replaced by English in the early decades of this century. The Congregational Christian churches and the Evangelical and Reformed Church merged in 1961. This congregation joined the new national body, the United Church of Christ, and assumed the title of Zion United Church of Christ.

SCOPE AND CONTENT NOTE
This collection of the records of the Zion United Church of Christ of Falls City, Nebraska, consists of one reel of microfilm containing two volumes dating from 1886-1976. Each of the two registers contains lists of pastors, baptisms, confirmations, communions, marriages, burials, and annals of the congregation. The first volume, covering the years 1886-1926, is in German; the second volume, 1926-1976, is in English.

DESCRIPTION
Reel 1
Volume
  1. 1886-1926
  2. 1926-1976

3.  Tabor Church
In 1877 and Tabor Church was formed 9 miles northeast of Falls City.  It was in existence from about 1877 to 1905. 

The Tabor church was 3 miles north of Zion Evangelical and built after Zion Church. It lasted 35-40 years.  People closer to Arago went to this church rather than Zion Evangelical because it was closer to homes making it easier to get to in wagons and by horse.  When the Model T came along it was disbanded and people went back to Zion Evangelical Church.

Bethel Evangelical United Brethren Church here had something special to brag about during its centennial celebration. The 136-member congregation has produced 43 ministers, ministers’ wives and missionaries who combined have 240 years of service in the Kansas Conference The two days of centennial celebrating have been high lighted by visits from former pastors as well as the youth they influenced to go into the ministry and missionary work. The church’s history reveals a mobile existence that eventually spawned an affiliate church at Falls City which has grown larger than the parent

The church was founded in 1862 at the small Missouri River town of Arago which was later renamed Fargo. The Rev Herbert Iwig, the present pastor, said the early churches of his denomination were usually founded when two or 3 families in one location made contact with a preacher.  Most of the early preaching was done in homes or schoolhouses. Five years after the founding the church was moved to a location 6 miles northeast of Falls City named Zion Evangelical. The location was moved again in 1877 and Tabor Church was formed 9 miles northeast of Falls City. Preston Church was founded in 1891 and in 1950 was united with Zion as the two congregations began to worship together. The resulting Bethel Church is located 4 miles east and one-half mile north of Falls City.  

Preston Church was founded in 1891.

All Scholl's and Weinerts attended the Tabor Church for a time.

4.  St. Paul Church in Preston was 3 miles south and 1 mile west

5.  Bethel church is the main church today (2016) and has the records for the previous churches that no longer in exist.





Zion Cemetery, NE from Kent on Vimeo.


6.  Old Arago Cemetery


Four Lost Children in the Arago Cemetery, NE from Kent on Vimeo.

Map of important spots in NE of Falls City and Arago, NE: